Thursday, March 20, 2008

Disneyland the American Mecca


I haven't written an entry in a while, and I apoligize. I have been trying to think of a really good entry and all I could come up with was this one. Really I haven't thought twice about it and have been working a lot. Well enough about my life and onto something really interesting. As you can see by the title what I am going to talk about. It all stems back from an argument that Heather and I have quite often. This is the argument:

Blaine: Why would I want to go to Disney World?

Heather: Don't you want to take our kids there?

Blaine: No!

Heather: Why not?

Blaine: Because it is Disney World.

Heather: It's fun and there is a lot to do and the kids would love it.

Blaine: You call standing in line for hours at a time to go on a 30 sec. ride and pay for over priced food fun?

Heather: Yes.
Blaine: Well you can take them without me.
Heather: You wouldn't want to see your own kids have fun.
Blaine: We can have fun out on a lake just as much as at Disney World.
Heather: You'll go.
Blaine: Oh I will, will I?

You see it isn't so much about Disney World itself, it's just that everytime that I tell someone that I haven't been to Disney World the next thing they say is, "Well you have to go to Disney World." Not a suggestion not a comment, but a command, "You have to..." I don't ever remember one of the parts of the constitution stating, "Every American citizen no matter of what their circumstance must make a trip to Orlando, Florida and pay $70 dollars to the Disney Corporation and stand in line and eat over-priced food." We as humans have made Disney World more than what it is. It has become the American Mecca. To not make a pilgrimage to the Disney Land is a sin. People will always counter argue with me about standing in lines and say they have the secret on how to avoid them. Have you ever heard this, it is like robbing a bank.
"All right at 7:09 and 45 seconds you start off at Pirates of the Carribean and you get a fast pass. Then you head to Space Mountain and do a chicken dance to get ahead of the single rider line. Then you head back to Pirates of the Carribean and buy a $5 apple to not draw suspicion and give an Arrr to the guy dressed up like a pirate to let him know that you understand him. Then you head to the Animal Kingdom and get fast passes from all the rides, even if you don't want to ride them, because you never know if you might have a 10 sec. gap in time that will through off your entire day. You cut through Epcot to make it to the Indiana Jones and then Splash Mountain. You have a choice at this point of time, eat lunch or walk through the Swiss Family Robinson tree house. Scarf down your $12 ham sandwich and chips, $3 extra if you want a drink (its Florida, 100 deg and the water is horrible tasting...Get a drink.) Back to the enchanted kingdom to get another fast pass and fly back to Animal kingdom to hit the first ride. Single rider line the second and fast pass the third. Sprint back to epcot to ride the submarines and goff at the fake sea creatures. You have to hit the Pinnochio ride, because that is just part of the plan and there is nobody in line anyways. Finally it is about 8:43 and they are going to do the parade at 9:00. You have just enough time to finally get to Pirates of the Carribean, which is nothing like the movie whatsoever and then while everybody else is watching the parade you get a silhouette cutout of you ($15) just to have a souveigner. Hug Micky (for the kids), Goofy (for the girls) and Cinderella (for the guys). Done!"

That made me tired just writing that. So why don't I want to go to Disney World? I think I covered that pretty darn good.

1 comments:

Emily said...

Seriously Blaine- everybody likes Disney because it brings out our inner kid selves. You say you won't take your kids now but just wait until your little girl flashes her eyes and asks you please.