Sunday, May 17, 2009

Marathon Bound

Okay, so I'm not at the point of running a marathon yet, but I am working toward it. I guess I should explain how this all came about. Blaine's family is having a reunion this summer, and his brother Russell challenged everyone to run or walk in a 5K race. I usually hate running, but most of you who know me know that I am fairly competitive and I really didn't want to walk the 5K, so I decided that I better start running so that I wasn't passing out within 1 mile of the 3.1 that I would have to run.

I knew that I was in a little better shape then I used to be. Since I started working at Curves, I'be been working out 5 days a week and gotten down a few pounds, so anyhow I thought that I would see if running would be any easier this time. So I ran 2 laps around my neighborhood and did pretty well. I thought that it was only about 1 1/2 miles, but I figured I better know for sure so that I would know when I could actually run 3 miles, so that afternoon I went around with my car and clocked the mileage and I found out that I had actually ran 2.4 miles. I was shocked because I don't think that I have been able to run that far since I was a freshman in high school. Anyhow, Blaine told me that since I was getting in better shape that I should start training for a marathon next year. Running a marathon is something that I always thought would be really cool to do, but didn't ever think it achievable, but I thought, I'm going to do it. This lead to finding a marathon training schedule online, and so last week, I started working on it. The furthest I have ran so far is 4 miles, but within the next year I am hoping to build that up to the 26.2 mile marathon.

So wish me luck, I'm going to keep on working on it and if I lose a few more pounds in the process I will not complain.

3 comments:

Britni said...

Sounds like an awesome goal! it'll be worth all the hard work!

cwilson said...

You go Heather!!! That is awesome!

Emily Holden said...

Way to go Heather! I like running, but I don't know if I could do a marathon. I do love 5k's and 10k's though! Keep up the awesome work!