Saturday, February 23, 2008

There and Back Again

I thought that I would give a quick update on the lives of Blaine and I. I have spent the last month going between Mississippi and back. I spend one weekend in Virginia then one in Mississippi. The weeks that I am in Virginia I have spend coaching my YW in basketball. We had a great team this year. We only lost one game, but that was to the team that has girls on the high school basketball team. For those of you who don't know I have been coaching my ward's YW team for the past 3 seasons. Today was the last day of my coaching days for this ward. My girls did win both of their games. I also have been going to different ward functions such as last night's annual Chili Cook-Off. This is a huge event in our ward. It is a fundraiser that the youth do to earn money for Girl's and Scout Camp. It is very serious business. First there is a chili contest. Each year there are 20-30 people who make chili that they enter into the contest. Then the youth hold a huge bake sale auction. People bring in various baked goods that are auctioned off to the people who are there. Several of the cakes that are made go for $50-$60. Last night the top bid was a cake that sold for $79. I know it sounds crazy but it was a lot of fun. I am definately going to miss our Portsmouth, VA Ward. We have had several wonderful friends that I hope we will be able to keep in touch with. It's going to be a tough ward to live.

However, during the 2 weeks that I have spent with our Mississippi ward I have felt nothing but totally welcome. The first week that I went there I was greeted by at least 90% of the people there. They were very nice people. They are obviously very excited to have us moving to their ward. They have already put Blaine to work in ward as the Young Men's President. That should help keep him very busy along with work until I can get there permanantly in June.

There is much more then church that has been keeping my husband busy though. Although his job is in Mississippi, during the last few weeks he has spent very little time there. He has been traveling to different trainings all over the midwest and eastern seaboard. Within the last month he has been in Florida, right during their presidential primary no less, Chicago where he was stuck for an additional day because of the snow, and to good old Charleston, SC, unfortunately this was a very quick trip where he didn't even have a chance to visit Lynsee and Mike. He'll come see you next time guys. He's still loving his job and the different challenges it has to offer.

Now that February is over we are down to just 3 1/2 months until I get to go down there with them. If anyone knows of anyone wanting to by a house in Norfolk area, send them our way.

1 comments:

Kristi said...

WOW, you two are very busy!!! That is a good idea with the chilli cook off and the Bake Sale!! $79 for a cake thats sweet!!!! =) that must be hard for you guys to not get to see each other every day, it will be good when you can be in the same town!!! Good luck with the house!