Monday, July 20, 2009

Moving Mania

Yes we are alive and currently living in a hotel. I didn't realize how long it has been since I have posted but we have had a crazy month so far. The past month has included moving out of our house, heading to Utah for an Edwards' Family Reunion, heading to North Carolina for Blaine's work and for me to visit with my family, and then moving temporarily into a hotel until we move to Utah for good. It will probably take me a few posts to catch all of you up on our lives, but at least this post will be a start.

On June 27 we finally managed to move all of our belongings out of our house and get them put into a storage shed. However it did not happen with a lot of drama. Blaine had to work nights the entire week prior to the move so of course we could not really move much of our stuff until the Saturday morning when we were supposed to fly out for Utah. Our flight was not leaving until 5:1opm, so we though we might just be able to accomplish this mighty fete. We were about as prepared as we could be. Everything that we owned had been packed in boxes and placed in either the living room and the dining room. All the cleaning of the house had been done besides sweeping and mopping the floors. In other words I really don't think we could have done anything more to be ready.

Because of Blaine working nights, he arrived back from work at about 4:00 am the Saturday morning of our move. We had scheduled with the Elder's Quorum to come over and help us at 8:00am that morning (The Elder's Quorum are some of the adult men in our church.), but since I really had not been able to sleep very well the night before on the couch, Blaine and I decided that we would start loading the boxes on the U-Haul truch that we had picked up the night before. Amazingly we were able to get all of the boxes loaded on by about 5:30am. By then, Blaine was already absolutely exhausted from staying up the night before, so we headed to McDonalds to grab some breakfast and got some donuts and juice for all the wonderful men who came and helped us haul furniture. Then we went back to house where Blaine was able to get about another hour of sleep, while I continued to make sure everything was ready to roll.

Surprisingly most of the men who came to help us were right on time, and I'm not talking Mormon Standard Time, I mean actually there at 8:00pm. We finished hauling everything onto the truck and unpacking it in the storage shed in just under 2 hours. I was very excited about this. I must add a big thank you to all those who helped us because we were going through one of the biggest heat waves of the summer. That day was about a 100 degrees on the thermometer, but with the heat index felt like 107.

Anyhow all that was left was to get rid of a few items that had to be trashed like our incredibly old piano which had fallen apart. We didn't have to leave our house until 2:00 to take the U-Haul back and make it to the airport on time. We had a land fill just about 10 minutes from our house so we loaded up all the stuff that needed to go there and off we went. We drove right into the landfill and were about to dump our stuff in the pile, when a man who worked there stopped us and told us that that landfill was not open on Saturdays so we could not dump it. Blaine explained to him that it was an emergency and we didn't have anywhere else to put it. He told us he would call his supervisor but he couldn't get a hold of him so he wouldn't let us dump it. First of all what landfill is only open Monday-Friday from 8:00am-5:00pm. I mean everyone is working during those hours so how are they going to get rid of stuff they do not want. Secondly, the gate to the landfill was open. We were so mad at this guy he would just let us get rid of a few things in an emergency. To make a long story short, we had to have a place to put all of this junk so the only thing we could figure out to do was to rent a smaller storage shed and put it in there until we got back from Utah and could take it to the landfill sometime on a Monday through Friday. What a pain!!!

Because of this whole wonderful experience we ended up missing our plane to Utah, but this is where I am going to put in a big plug for American Airlines. We headed to Jackson to see what they could do for us, and even though missing the plane was our fault, they let us fly standby the next morning and we still made it into Salt Lake by about 11:30am the next morning. Yeah for nice people who understand extenuating circumstances. Anyhow we did have a blast in Utah and that exciting adventure will be written within the next few posts.

2 comments:

Emily said...

What a mess! Moving is so stressful, no matter how prepared you are. I'm glad you had/are having fun in Utah.

Kristi said...

WOW I hate moving accross town I cant imagen Moving accross the country!! YOu poor dear!! Good luck with everything....!!!