So this is a complaining blog, I admit it, but I've come to the conclusion that this state does not want us to become residents. Blaine and I decided that we finally better get our Mississippi driver's licenses and get our cars registered here. So the adventure all began Monday. Blaine and I had to go to the Social Security office, since somewhere between here and Virginia our cards got lost. We actually got in and out of this office in less then 10 minutes and so we thought, maybe government agencies in this state are easier to get in and out of. Boy were we wrong, after getting out of the social security office we headed over to the DMV. Their computers had broken down and they had no idea how long it was going to take to get them back up. Since there were already 30 people there waiting, we decided that we would come back on another day when the computers were up and running.
This brings us today. Blaine works about 40 minutes away from here in Columbia, MS. For those of you who don't know we live in an area just outside Hattiesburg, MS. Anyhow, I told him that I would come over there on his lunch break and go to the DMV there, which is only open 2 days a week, but I'd looked it up on line, so I figured that we were covered. First we went to a building where we thought that we could take care of both the registration and the driver's licenses, but they informed us that they only did registration and that driver's licenses were done at different location. So then we told them to go ahead and register our car's, but when we gave them our address they told us that we were in a different county then the the one lived in, and we had to register our cars in our own county, which does not have a DMV. I then asked if the driver's license location would allow us to get our licenses, and they told me yes. We then headed over to the driver's license place, which was located in a different building. W arrived at the there at 11:15 am. The hours online said that they were open from 9:00am to 12:00pm and then 1:00pm to 5:00pm. When we got there, we took our number and sat waiting while the one person who was working there, was obviously engaged in a personal phone conversation as she was laughing hysterically. This conversation lasted about 5 minutes with 15 people waiting in the room. While waiting I noticed a sign that said that we had to pay with Cash Only. It's so great to know that our the United States can put a man on the moon, but will not accept checks, debit or credit cards when getting a driver's license. When we saw this sign, Blaine quickly ran to the bank to get cash. While he was gone, they called out number and when I told the lady that we needed to get new driver's licenses because we just moved to the state, she informed that they stopped doing those at 11:00am and that we would have to come back at 1:00pm. Needless to say, we killed time for the next hour and a half, got back back at 1:05pm to a room of about 30 people. Blaine had forgotten his glasses for the vision test. Although his vision is not too bad, we decided not to tempt fate and to wait until next week to try again. So this story will be continued in a week.
P.S. DMV's in every state suck. (Trust us this is the 6th state we have been in.)
P.S.S. Blaine and I have decided that DMV's are the United States first of defense against terrorism. They make it so hard to get any type of license or i..d card that terrorists just decide to give it. (Ha Ha Ha)
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Mississippians (Not According to the State)
Posted by
Heather Edwards
at
2:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
That's the worst story I've ever heard. I'm so sorry! That stinks. It wasn't too bad in AZ actually.
I am convinced you would have been completely helped at the DMV's had Blaine known which team to root for in the BYU, utah game. It is not wise to make the ghost of A O Smoot upset. It can have unintended consequences. I recommend singing the BYU Cougar fight song 3 times with real meaning to appease his ghost. GO COUGARS!
Post a Comment